Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation:
This free online course serves as a great intro to basic mindfulness meditation practices. It consists of 10-15 minute daily lessons (including guided practices for each), taught by two of my favorite teachers (Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield).
Insight (Vipassana) Meditation:
Tara Brach’s R.A.I.N. Method
Tara Brach describes her approach to meditation using the acronym RAIN. This type of “insight meditation” is great for not only increasing awareness of one’s internal state, but also for summoning the internal resources needed to heal emotional wounds. These 3 resources will help orient you to the practice and get you started.
- Summary/overview blog post
- Explanatory dharma talk (57 min, available in both video and audio formats)
- Brief guided meditation (10 min)
Tara Brach also offers a self-paced course on this method for $49, for those interested in a more structured learning experience.
Internal Family Systems (IFS)
A short, basic introduction to IFS is available on YouTube:
For a more in-depth introduction to the modality, including a demonstration of a therapist working with a client, these episodes from the “Relationship Alive” podcast provide a helpful orientation to IFS:
- Episode 26: How to get all the parts within you to work together – basic intro (1:09:37)
- Episode 140: Mastering the Art of Inner Transformation – includes a helpful demonstration of a therapist working with a client (1:20:14)
Exploring Your Own System:
Once you know the basic ideas, this is a great 3-part series that teaches people how to work with their own system outside of therapy sessions.